Saturday 15 August 2020

VJ Day.


Still a disgrace this day is largely ignored by the politicians,as they much prefer VE Day.

My late Grandfather fought in the 'Forgotten 14th Army'.He survived the war,but hated it.I was denied to ask him about his experiences.Having read a few books on the war against Japan,I'm glad I didn't ask him.It also wasn't nice that there wasn't a welcome to the troops,like those who managed to survive the war in Europe.Then,it was just an ordinary day.Nobody was really bothered.

The P.O.W's who also managed to survive brutal Japanese treatment from their former guards,were awarded £5000 on their return.A nice sum of money back then.However,many suffered tremendous,mental scarring over this horrible suffering.There was no mental support like there is today.Nobody understood back then.Indeed:so many were wrongly accused of cowardice.An utter disgrace.It still enrages me even today,that some former Japanese soldiers,won't apologise for their despicable crimes.
That makes the final victory over them more satisfactory.



I love you,Grandad.Miss you so much.Rest in Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment